Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Miley Cyrus Breakout - Song by Song Review

I had a chance to pick up a copy of the new Miley Cyrus album Breakout. The album is pretty good but I was expecting a little more. There are some standout songs, but there are also some duds including 2 cover songs. Here’s what I thought of the album, song by song with a ranking 1 to 5 of each song. Click on each link for the lyrics.

Breakout:
Pretty decent catchy tune to start off the album. Lyrics are kind of basic talking about school and parents. Considering the title of the song and album referring to Miley breaking out of her Hannah Montana image, you would think that she would have strayed away from these types of topics, but she doesn't. That's ok though. 3/5

7 Things:
We've all heard this one a million times by now. It's a Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, and has a legitimate shot at number 1 next week since album sales count in the rankings. Songs don't get that high up the charts by mistake, and I think it's probably still the best song on the album. 5/5

The Driveway:
Might be my personal favorite on the album based on the few times I've heard it. It gets stuck in my head a lot and I really like how Miley's voice sounds on this track. 5/5

Girls Just Want to Have Fun:
The first of a few songs on this album that has me scratching my head. Why is this song necessary? Everyone has heard the original song and Miley's version doesn't really provide anything new. Continuing with the premise that Miley wants to leave her Hannah image behind - this isn't helping. Covering cheesy 80's pop songs would be the last thing I would want to do if I were trying to break a Disney image. I'm not saying Miley did a bad job in the execution, just questioning the song selection. 2/5

Full Circle:
Average, slightly up-tempo song that could have just as easily been on one of the previous Hannah Montana albums. I like the song but it's fairly forgettable. I had to go back and listen to it several times to because I kept forgetting what it sounded like. 3/5

Fly On The Wall:
Widely speculated to become a single this is one of the catchiest songs on the album. It has a hypnotic chorus that will get stuck in your head for days, and at only 2.5 minutes long it leaves you wanting more. 4/5

Bottom of the Ocean:
Another track that has single written all over it. The song is very well produced and polished with bittersweet lyrics. Since it is slower paced it seems like it would be a good contrast to Miley's recent fast paced singles. 4/5

Wake Up America:
It's a song about saving the environment. 2/5

These Four Walls:
Cover of the Cheyenne Kimball song "Four Walls". Again I'm finding myself asking why Miley needs to be doing covers. The original song only came out about 2 years ago, and Cheyenne's version is better. It was a mediocre song on Cheyenne's album, and it's the worst on Miley's. 1/5

Simple Song:
Really creative song that is one of the best on the album. I really like the contrast between the fast pace, and then the slowness of the chorus. Most people can probably relate to the hectic nature of the song's topic. 5/5

Goodbye:
Another song that I think is pretty good. Slower paced love song that Miley sings very well. Her voice sounds pretty mature here. More songs like this would have been helpful in distancing Miley from Hannah if that's what she really wanted to do, but we might have to wait a little longer for that. 4/5

See You Again Remix:
I'm usually not a big fan of re-mixes, and this is no exception. Another song selection that I question. There are only 12 songs on the album and 3 of them are either covers or remixes. 3/5